Type A-11 intermediate leather flying helmet
The A-11 was the last developed in the "A" series during WWII. Standardized in August 1943 it saw several modifications during its career, maintaning the same designation, though. Initially made of brown leather with a chamois lining, the latter was later changed in sheep doeskin, while the shell was now made of seepskin. When eventually receiving a softer chin strap, adjustment was also improved by a new buckle and strap at the base of the neck. The helmet was equipped with the black rubber, kapok-filled cushioned earphone mountings for the
ANB-H-1 radio receivers. UK based AAF crews traded their frequently used RAF C-Type helmets for the A-11, which saw frequent use well beyond WWII and into the Korean War.
Type A-14 demand oxygen mask
Manufacturer Bulbulian, Ohio Chemicals Mfc. Co.
Production date June 1944
Spec. No. 3163
The A-14 was a seperate demand oxygen mask project running almost parallel to the Types A-9 and A-10. Based upon designs of Dr. Arthur H. Bulbulian and the Mayo Clinic, first prototypes appeared as soon as autumn 1941. But only in July 1943, after a series of changes and improvements, the mask was eventually standardized for AAF use. Combining a medium green rubber mask body with an integrated pocket for the T-44 or ANB-M-C1 microphone, a corrogated oxygen delivery hose and attaching straps, the result was arguably the best and most comfortable oxygen mask at that time. An initially persisting freezing problem, resulting in some casualties aboard high flying bomber aircraft (with exposed crew positions), was partially solved by including "weep holes" in the mask to drain accumulated moisture. A further modification consisted in an internal rubber baffle trap, protecting the lower inlet ports from water vapor. These measures, including the removal of excessive moisture in the oxygen itself, reduced the freezing risk to an acceptable level.
AN6530 flying goggles
The AN6530, standardized in 1943 for both Army and Navy use, was a variation of the Type B-7, and accordingly marked on the metal bridge between the lenses. This is a 1943/1944 production specimen with streamlined ventilators and the more protective one-piece cushion. These two features improved wearing comfort, reduced fogging and facilitated mass production. The lenses could be easily replaced and came in shades of clear, green, grey and yellow.