Type B-5 winter helmet
While early versions of the Type B-5 were made of shearling with horsehide seam covers, the later specimen like the one featured here were made with a full horsehide outer shell. Standardized in May 1933 it featured a chamois-lined chin strap with cup, but there was no factory installed provision for communication.
If required, earphone receptacles could easily be installed by fitters at base, though. The Type B-5 was eventually declared obsolete in September 1944.
Type B-7 flying goggles
This specimen is named to Richard O'Hara from the 306th BG and represents the second pattern of the Type B-7 with a flat satin finish and a one-piece chamois backed rubber face pad. It retains, though, the tubular air vents welded on the frames of the first pattern B-7. (Later pattern goggles B-7’s normally have more streamlined, integral air vents.)
The initial Type B-7 were introduced in 1933 as a more streamlined, strengthened and simplified successor to the Type B-6. They originally came with nickel or chrome plated frames with sewn on separate rubber cushions and curved lenses.
Type A-7A rebreather oxygen mask
Manufacturer: Ohio Chemical Inc., February, May, June 1942
Designed by: BLB / Boothby, Lovelace, Bulbulian
Patent No.: 113,984
The constant flow A-7 nasal mask by B.L.B. as standardized on July 15, 1939 and officially adopted by the US Air Corps. Being found inadequate for combat flying as it actually only covered the nose and was prone to freezing, it was used primarily for transport and courier aircrew and passengers on flights up to 20'000 feet.
Excessive waste of oxygen with the constant flow system was reduced by the installation of a rebreather bag which conserved much of the continuously flowing oxygen previously wasted with the pipestem system and older A-5, A-6 and B-5 oxygen face masks.
While the uncovered mouth permitted conversation or the use of a handheld microphone for voice transmissions, oxygen supply consequently stopped when the wearer talked.
With the arrival of the oronasal Type A-8 mask, the A-7 was downgraded to limited standard and eventually declared obsolete on August 11, 1943.
The improved version A-7A presented here was standardized on June 5, 1943. Sponge rubber inhalation and exhalation discs mounted in rubber turrets on each side of the supply tube replaced the troublesome metal valve of the predecessor.
Oxygen flow was provided by the manually operated Type A-8 or A-8A regulator, specifically designed for the Type A-7 and A-8 rebreather oxygen masks..
This headset is based on a HB-7 headband comprising a pair of leather covered spring steel headbands with swivel mountings for the receivers. In this case these are low impedance type
ANB-H-1 including a PL-354 plug.