Type LKpW100 leather winter flying helmet
Baumuster LKp W100
Date of acceptance stamp 7 June 1937
Manufacturer Striegel & Wagner G.M.B.H.
Lichtenfels / Bayer. Ostmark
This specimen is stamped on the inside of the earphones:
Junkers Flugzeug und Motorenwerke Akt. Ges. which indicates it was used by flying personnel with the Junkers aircraft and engine factory Inc.
This fur or fleece lined leather helmet represents the standard pilot helmet for Luftwaffe radio equipped aircraft in the second half of the 1930's. Introduced in 1936 it remained in use well beyond the introduction of its successor, the LKpW101 in 1938, and throughout the Battle of Britain.
The LKpW100, like its summer equivalent, the LKpS100, was equipped with Siemens radio receivers in two aluminium earcups and built-in throat microphones. The latter are Type Mi4 magnetic laryngophones, FL26779 by DW, in round, brown bakelit housings, attached to the helmet by an elasticized cloth and leather strap at the back. This laryngophone arrangement proved to be rather uncomfortable for the wearer and was drastically improved with the arrival of the '101 series.
Two flat hooks on the side and an adjustable metal loop and strap at the top corner allow to attach a three-strap oxygen mask.
Model 10-67 oxygen mask
(With non-original straps and attachments)
Manufacturer: bwz / Auer
The 10-67 was the designation of a direct development from the Auer HM51 which had eliminated the problem of freezing encountered with earlier German mask designs (i.e. the Dräger Models HM5, HM15 and 10-69), without the need of installing a heating system.
It was introduced in 1939 and saw use primarily with bomber crews, while fighter pilots preferred the lighter 10-69 with the two-strap harness.
Freezing is normally prompted by warm, moist exhaled air coming in contact with either dry, cold oxygen or outside air. As a result the oxygen flow is compromized or even interrupted.
To prevent freezing, the black rubber mask body of the 10-67 was molded with a small, insulated compartment with an added cavity wall in which the exhalation valve was placed. The exhaled air exited the mask around the top of the corrugated tube.
Frostbite protection to the wearar's face was normally provided by chamois lining and a leather face mask to be tucked into the side of the flying helmet.
The mask was available in 4 sizes and was fitted to the flying helmet by means of a three-strap harness with loops and hook, the horizontal strap being attached by means of a simple rubber button.
This somewhat battered example unfortunately lacks the anti- frostbite shield, the hose connector and the typical "crocodile" clip.
Model 306 Fliegerschutzbrille by O.W. Wagner & Co.
This specimen has brass frames with large curved lenses and seperate rubber face-pads around each eye. The adjustable bridge features one small screw set in a sliding channel between the two eyepieces. The nose bridge is embossed OW 39 which indicates manufacture by O.W. Wagner & Co. in 1939.